Monday, February 7, 2011

On New Year's Eve, at the home of the lovely Hillyards, Julie (six days past her own due date and still six days from delivery) suggested I take a pregnancy test.

"Oh no," I scoffed. "I'm sure I'm not pregnant. And even if I was, it probably would never show up!" I wouldn't know if I was "late" for six more days. Just for fun, she insisted, and delivered a spare test from her bathroom upstairs.

I knew I couldn't be pregnant because surely I would feel if I was pregnant, and also I didn't want to disappoint everyone in the room after a three-minute wait with only one measly pink line. But at everyone's insistence, I peed on the stick. With Annalise, the two lines turned boldly pink immediately, leaving no room for doubt. This time, only one line popped up.

I came out. "See?" I said, showing the stick around. "I'm not pregnant. I knew it."

"We have to wait three minutes!" everyone said. So we waited. As we chatted, I glanced down. The lighting was dim but what was that? I shot up and ran to good light. In the time it took to run the ten steps another line had distinctly appeared.

I was pregnant. It was very shocking. (Not because we hadn't planned it but because isn't it always shocking?)

Today was the first ultrasound. I am almost nine weeks along, there is one baby inside (pronounced very wiggly by the doctor) and its cute little heart was beating away.

It's all very hard to wrap my brain around, even though we've been through this before. I can't imagine any other baby being mine besides Annalise. Who even wants another baby besides Annalise? She is perfect. How is another baby even supposed to compare? I guess we'll see. :)

8 comments:

Karina said...

It IS always shocking I agree! Best of luck for less sickness this time around

SassyMama said...

Glad to hear the ultrasound went well. And that there was "just" one little wiggly thing inside there instead of two....:)

Dr. Todd said...

Rock on!

Courtney said...

Aw, Jess. I have no doubt that you will be an awesome mother of two. And that you will love every minute of it!

Are you hoping for a boy this time around?

Jessica said...

No Court! Totally hoping for a girl again. I never had a sister and would LOVE one for Annalise. You know how great it is! You have two! :) Dave totally wants a boy again though. :)

Jodie said...

Hmm, I never thought of taking a pregnancy test as a way to liven up a party! :) Congrats to you guys!
BTW- it is fun have two girls in a row!

Lynn said...

This is my first time visiting your blog. Big congratulations to you on the arrival of the coming babe! I know what you mean, you can't believe another baby could possibly be as perfect as that precious firstborn, but you will be soooo in love with baby #2 the minute she(he) is born. Rejoicing with you at your exciting news!

Valerie and Mercado Family said...

What an exciting way to find out you're pregnant- with an audience on New Year's Eve! Congrats again! I hope you have a girl too!