Sunday, October 17, 2010

14 Months

My sweet little lady is 14 months old today. The main words she says are 'hi' and 'pretty'. When she says pretty she pantomimes putting blush on her cheeks with a brush. The other day she walked into a friend's bedroom, zoomed over to a Raggedy Ann doll, and exclaimed, "Pretty!" while staring into its face with rapture. She loves to drink from a straw or any drink anybody else is having. If you try to offer her a sippy cup when she is wanting your drink she becomes highly offended. She doesn't like to sit still while she eats. Instead she marches around, happily clutching her string cheese or granola bar while she munches. She falls down a lot. Also bumps her head a lot. She currently has two bruises on her forehead- one is a goose egg from this morning when she became acquainted a little too intimately with the corner of our night stand.

She has regressed back to being carried in the Ergo any time we are in public. Annalise refuses to sit in the front or back of a cart and insists instead on Walking and Destroying unless she is strapped to my body. I tried the baby-leash once (much to Dave's chagrin) and that didn't work either. As we were crossing the parking lot, 3 seconds into its use, her legs became tangled and she tripped and fell and rolled all the way onto her back on the asphalt in front of approximately 47 cards waiting for us. Once inside the store's doors she tripped once more, and then when I stood her up and tried to gently steer her, she screamed in frustration that she couldn't go where she wanted, flung herself down, and smashed her face into a stack of metal shopping baskets. And that was the end of that.

Since she is walking now, shoes are a new element to her ensembles and are particularly fun to get to match to her outfits.

She is currently refusing all baths. As in, screaming and convulsing in a terror-filled fashion from the moment I turn on the tub. It's because she doesn't like getting the water dumped over her head for a shampoo, but before she only used to cry at that part. Now she can't even be held down or forced inside the bathtub whatsoever. Not quite sure what to do about this.

I sure do love my tiny little 14-month angel.








5 comments:

[M] said...

Just bought my first pair of shoes for ava yesterday. I was gleeful. Max is the same way with getting his hair washed and always has been. I think it's a sensory issue. What has helped us was getting one of those detachable shower heads that you can aim. That way you can tilt their head and not get anything in their eyes. We still only wash Max's hair like once a week. They get old enough to talk you out of it...

Jessica said...

I have a detachable shower head! I am waiting on pins and needles to be able to explain that to her. I tried again before church today. You'd think I was trying to shove her down the drain. She is really afraid. :(

Anonymous said...

If she is really scared wet her hair with a wash cloth then lather her shampoo in the wet wash cloth, rub it on her head rise the wash cloth and wipe her head until shampoo is gone. Just like when she was a tinny baby. Just remember 14 months is when they really start to see were boundaries are set, and if they are going to win. All of my kids have done this, and its super important that you figure out what things she is afraid of and what things she is just being a stinker on. Hang on you are heading into the fun toddler years. I say that very seriously, because it really is my favorite age!

Valerie and Mercado Family said...

I tell you, every stage she's in reminds me of what Victoria did at about the same time! If we had blogs 5 1/2 years ago, I could have changed her name to Victoria and it would have worked just fine! (though she did ride in the cart...)

Nicole said...

The mental image of Annalise on a leash really cracks me up!

I have detested taking my children to the store when they are in the 14-month to 2-year age range. They are tyrants. I have lots of great/awful stories about this subject.