Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Restaurants I Miss

I talk about food a lot, don't I? This is evidence to my psyche. You see what is important to me.

1. Toi Thai. As previously mentioned.

2. Le Saigon. The single most delicious Vietnamese restaurant in the world (though to be fair, I have not been to Vietnam). Two blocks from my old apartment. Their Bun Saigon Dac Biet Rice (you can say just give me the #8) which is vermicelli with charbroiled sliced pork (I get tofu), a Shrimp Skewer and Imperial Roll. Unreal. They knew me there. I would place my order and they would say, "It's you!" Nicest people ever. Sometimes I ate there for lunch and dinner in the same day and they would laugh about it. So healthy and light and delicious words don't do it justice.

3. The Coral Tree Cafe. Delicious Panini Caprese. I specialize in eating paninis and that one is the best I've ever had. (Factoid: this is the location of Dave's and my third first date. Yes, there were three.)

4. The Urth Cafe. Another amazing Panini Caprese. Different from the one above, and lovely in its own right. Also you will spot lots of famous people there.

5. Benito's. Delicious, greasy, flavorful, wonderful Mexican food, open 24 hours, and residing one block from my old apartment. Who orders a plain bean and cheese burrito at a Mexican place? I do, when it's Benito's. 100 times better than any other burrito I've ever had. Sometimes I would order extra cheese. And it was HUGE and, like, two bucks. They have green salsa and red. I recommend the green. Mmmmmm.

6. Father's Office. This is a bar. I never would go into a bar unless it was this one, because they serve one thing: the burger voted best burger in Los Angeles by all the newspapers and critics. But it's not even like a burger. I don't particularly care for burgers. But this thing (on special bread, not even a bun) is a combination of spicy arugula, sweetly caramelized onions, pungent bleu cheese, along with meat that is moist and cooked just right and a special sauce. The crowds are a nightmare. The space inside is nonexistent. But it's all worth it. This might be my single-most favorite food choice in the world.

7. El Torito Grill. This sounds very unfortunately similar to El Torito, a cheap Mexican chain that is the Denny's of Latin food. Praise be to the heavens, it is nothing like it. It's in Beverly Hills and is probably the only reasonably-priced restaurant in town. Hands-down best Chile Relleno in Southern California (and as this is the land of amazing Mexican food, therefore anywhere else.) As an unbelievably delectable aside, they serve fresh homemade tortillas with honey butter along with chips for your noshing pleasure before your meal even arrives. UNREAL. (Factoid: This was the location of our Rehearsal Dinner.)

8. Electric Lotus. Indian YUMMINESS. You can sit on pillows on the floor, and order off of a two-person menu with about 8 courses. Their spinach paneer. Heavenly. Their samosas- best of any I've ever had. Their raita. Their chicken tandoori and their lassi. Mind-blowing. I proclaimed this my favorite restaurant for years.

Now I am hungry and sad. FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 comments:

Courtney said...

I just recently tried Electric Lotus for the first time - and I totally agree with you. Loved their samosas. Loves their Chicken Tikka Masala. Loved everything. I still need to try Father's Office, though......

Emily said...

Have you ever seen Little Shop of Horror's? The giant plant says "Feed Me" in fact there's a whole song about "Feed Me" :) Hope you survive

Staci said...

Poor, poor Jessica...I just got back from a pre-birthday lunch at Lemon Moon - so good.

When Monica comes to town all she wants to do is eat at every place she misses. It's so funny. Now, I get it.

[M] said...

I'll have to agree that those burgers at father's office are the best burgers i have ever tasted. thanks for the tip on that by the way.

Emily said...

You are funny, Jessica. As for food in Vietnam, I doubt you would like it better. My cousin was adopted from there and their family has been there, I think it's pretty different.

Haven't been reading your blog lately because I don't have internet :( It's awful, lol. I should be getting it again pretty soon here, though. And I just caught up on your blog.

Nicole said...

This post made me hungry. Feed me, too.

Unknown said...

Embrace the now. You live in a great culinary city with lots of wonderful restaurants. If you need a couple to show you the light, I know Jamie and I would love to oblige.

Jessica said...

Jeff, show us the light!!! I'm ready to embrace the now! When's our double date?!?

Dr. Todd said...

I miss all the food too. Went out tonight for not so good- attempting to be cool- food in Vancouver. Need to head south.... I miss all the same places Jess. Maybe Jamie would act like we are friends and invite us on your double for good food nights. Portland is a lot closer as our southern neighbor than Westwood CA.

By the way, I miss the lunches at Gypsy Cafe too. Oh, Oris.... and Crusteceons... and Buddhas Belly.... and...

Jessica said...

I also forgot that I miss C & O Trattoria and their bread knots, and Suzie Cakes and their cupcakes (waaaaay better than Sprinkles.)