Friday, February 13, 2009

Red Curry

Okay, so I'm over sushi. I don't hate it but I don't think about it and when I do I couldn't care less. Now I spend my days and nights wanting THAI RED CURRY.

The best Thai red curry in the world (excepting possibly Thailand) is in LA, at a little place on Wilshire called Toi Thai. You can even have pumpkin added. It is so good you might want to eat there every day. It is so good, you might actually eat there every day. They even deliver. I used to attend their dinner hour frequently. My ordering script was down pat:

"One red curry with steamed rice, tofu instead of meat, add pumpkin, mild on the spice. Thank you!"

Not to put Oregon down, but the food is not the same here. (Don't even get me started on Vietnamese.) I have now had Thai red curry at a few establishments in this fine state, bought some curry in a bottle from Trader Joe's, and tried some out of box, but none approximate the lusciousness of cuisine that is Toi Thai. Nonetheless, the search continues. Because I really need it.

Does anyone have any good Thai restaurant suggestions near me (excluding Thai Cabin and Thai Orchid, which frankly suck)???

PS- Is this what cravings are???


13 comments:

Amy said...

I like Thai Basil. I don't know about their Red Curry, but their drunken noodles are amazing. There's one by Deseret Book, but I think they have one in Beaverton, too. Esan Thai downtown at 2nd and Pine is good, too. I miss LA food, too! Portland can't really compare :).

Staci said...

Wow I want to eat that right now...Toi Thai, huh??? I miss you, wish we could eat there together tonight.

Will and Sandy said...

Typhoon!

Emily said...

hmm... I wonder if it would still be good if I overnighted it to you ;) of course by the time I get around to that you may be on to a new food craving!

Cooper Family said...

We like Thai Elephant which is in Streets of Tanasbourne. We love the yellow curry there but have never tried the red.

Nicole said...

You HAVE to try Sawatdee in Sherwood. THE BEST in the Portland area and we have tried a lot. They are closed Sundays and Mondays...so plan ahead! http://sawatdeethaicuisine.com/

Karina said...

I love the pic of your cute preggie tummy! You are definately showing I agree! I always have shown very early. Some people just look fat at this phase though so I think actually looking pregnant is a good thing. Good luck! I am glad you are feeling better!

Staci said...

So, thanks to your great post, we just got back from enjoying said curry. I ordered it exactly to your specs, and I have to say...you know your curry. It seemed like the greatest thing I've eaten in along time.

Courtney said...

I have heard about Toi Thai from a few different people down here, but have yet to actually experience it for myself. Now, with your recommendation, I am definitely going to have to check this place out, and soon!!

Jessica said...

Okay, I'm totally going to try all these places! Yay! Maybe I'll get some good red curry yet. Staci- I'm so jealous you went to Toi last night!

SassyMama said...

Now you are just making me hungry...

Sure hoping one of the above suggestions satisfies your craving!!

Robyn said...

Toi Thai brings back memories, although I am not so much into thai food. Anyway, sounds like you are having every possible pregnancy experience that one can have! Nausea, cravings, etc. I have tons of PB&J with Sophie and grilled cheese (not with American cheese!) with Gunner. But it was nothing like what you have got going on.

Valerie and Mercado Family said...

We don't have good Mexican food here at all, which seems so funny since it's so common to me. I mean, who serves coleslaw as the side dish with every meal at a Mexican restaurant instead of refried beans??