Friday, July 22, 2011

Our new favorite toy

I would like to interrupt this five-month fast from blogging to talk about ovens. The front two burners of ours (a hideous brute from around 1960, back before ovens had windows) were unworking. One was Dave's fault (the metal ring around it popped off and no amount of cajoling from me could convince him to figure out how to reattach it) and the other was my fault (I misread a recipe instructing me to simmer homemade hot chocolate for two hours in a crock pot- you might imagine what happened when I took a wee nap during the simmering and Dave came home to disaster with me quite peaceful in the bed). So the thing was ugly. And it didn't work. And we didn't know how to fix it. And we hated it.


But of course our particular set-up in our kitchen required a slide-in stove, which I had never heard of, but apparently is code for VERY EXPENSIVE stove. Since not many people use them in their kitchens, not a lot are made, and thus the market is quite unsaturated and they can get a ton of money for them. The cheapest one in the cheap appliance store was $1500. Which was out of the question. The cheapest one in the scratched and dinged section of the discount appliance store was $750. Which we briefly considered. Then a ray of brilliance hit me. CRAIGSLIST! Our "new" and lovely perfect and gorgeous oven was $135. I am so happy I could burst.

Also the new baby is due in 7 weeks, 6 days, but who's counting?

2 comments:

Valerie and Mercado Family said...

Good job on your find! You're about 10 weeks ahead of me, I'll be 24 weeks tomorrow. Hope you're feeling well!

Jessica said...

Thank you! I'm excited our new babes will be close too. I think the age difference will be the same as the last two! :)