Friday, July 29, 2011

Big girl!

This morning, I took off Annalise's pajamas and changed her diaper and left her in the family room to find some clothes to dress her in. I got distracted on Facebook with something very important though, and the next thing I knew she came running into the office shouting, "Poo-poos! Yucky!" She was entirely naked. I panicked, as yesterday she ran in yelling the same thing and it was because she had stuck her hand down her pants and come up entirely brown-fisted. Today there were no poo-poos, but only my shock that she had taken off her own diaper for the first time.

"Where is your diaper?" I kept asking her, because it was brand new and I wanted to hurry and get it back on her before we had an issue. "I duh-oh," (code for 'I don't know') she answered every time. I looked everywhere, couldn't find it, and as I was trying to think if there was any other possible place she could have put it, I asked her absently,

"Well, do you want to sit on your potty?"

She has a little princess potty I bought her months ago that we play with sometimes- as in, she sits down, stands up, sits down, and then runs away. And has only very recently consented to doing so diaper-lessly without crying at the injustice of it all.

"Okay," she said and ran in her room. (The potty is not even in the bathroom, if that shows how much faith we have in it being used for its actual purpose.)

She sat on the potty. I gave words of encouragement. After about 15 seconds, tinkly music began emanating from the pink princess potty. I thought it had to be broken. That was only supposed to happen if liquid touched it. Annalise was delighted and squealed and clapped her hands.

"Did you go PEE-PEE in the POTTY?" I bellowed in amazement.

"PEE-PEE!" she shouted, leaping up and we both leaned over to inspect. Sure enough, there were three small drops. We screamed. We laughed. We clapped. We cheered. She received inordinate praise and also a candy. She fruitlessly demanded more music from the potty.

Then she ran away and opened the kitchen trash can. "Diaper!" she exclaimed and fished it out to show me.

1 comments:

Valerie and Mercado Family said...

Hooray! That is the most glorious monment! Potty training is so hard, at least for me....