Friday, September 24, 2010

First word!!!

At exactly one year, one month, one week, and one day old, Annalise said her first word this morning! She says uh-oh and yay (more like "Aaay") but I don't really count those as real words. But as of five minutes ago, she is officially a member of the English-speaking empire!

Every morning while I put my make-up on, Annalise stands next to me where I sit at my vanity table, staring up at me, grabbing anything off the table she can reach, usually crying to be held, yanking on my clothes and make-up-applying arm, and generally making a giant nuisance of herself. To stave off her fussy distractingness, I always brush my blush brush over her cheeks after I use it and say, "Preeeeetty!" She always stands very still with a big smile on her face when I say that- I say the same thing when I comb her hair to make her stand still.

Today I was busy using the brush on myself and she started talking and it took me a minute to realize she was saying the same thing over and over, with purpose. It sounded like "pretty" but I couldn't be sure.

"Did you just say 'pretty'?" I asked her in amazement. She smiled hugely and brushed her cheeks with her hands to indicate she wanted me to put more blush on her. "Preeee-y!" she said. "Preeeee-y!"

"Pretty?" I asked.

"Preeeee-y!" she said.

"Pretty?" I squealed.

"Preeee-y!" she answered. We went back and forth like this in giddy-loon style for quite a while until I rushed out to call Dave to alert him of his child's geniusness.

Suffice it to say I nearly fell over and died from the preciousness.
















6 comments:

Staci said...

That's the cutest thing I have ever heard!!!

Of course your daughter's first word was"Pretty"!!!

Cooper Family said...

What a great first word! Suits her very well!

Dave Fuhriman said...

Am I a bad dad if I secretly hope she never grows any more teeth? The Fearsome Foursome are killing me right now.

Robyn said...

Cute cute cute. So many fun milestones.

Valerie and Mercado Family said...

Good word for her! BTW, in her last picture, there's something about her that looks like you!

Emily said...

So I saw this on facebook and was just catching up on your blog a little (I've been busy and haven't been following it much), but that's really cool she was 1 year, 1 month, 1 week, 1 day. I wonder if other moms would have put that together? Lol. I probably would have, I'm a dates and timelines kind of person, which I guess is why I think it's cool. I imagine you took her picture that day, probably many, and I think that calls for an elaborate 2 page layout. I can envision: 1 year, 1 month, 1 week, 1 day, 1ST WORD, "Pretty". :)