Friday, April 23, 2010

The Shrinking Shrivelly Shrimp

Life with a nursing-striking baby is stressful. Annalise is taking maybe a couple of ounces of liquid a day and the day before yesterday I reached my breaking point. Not only was she barely nursing enough to keep an amoeba alive, but the moment she would start, she would bite. And rip and tear. So she was crying to nurse and I was crying because I wanted her to nurse but the biting was out of control and so was her newfound anorexia.

I took her to the doctor yesterday and she has lost about three pounds. I knew she was lighter. But now she is a measly 18 pounds 7 ounces and she's barely peeing and to tell you the truth she seems quite pleased with herself. Very happy and active but currently an ever-shrinking shrivelly shrimp. If you think this makes me happy, you would be incorrect. If you instead think it triggers my extreme and enormous anxiety about her dying of starvation which was initiated when she was three days old and she lost too much weight because my milk wasn't coming in, NOW you would be correct. The doctor said she should be fine. Dave says she is fine. Everyone says she is fine. She better be fine. Because I'm about to lose my mind out here in TUALATIN OREGON.

In other notes, a few days ago Annalise got a high chair which is about a billion times better than the Bumbo. I thought maybe I could really interest her in some food if she was strapped in one place where she couldn't fall out. What happened instead was she was so fascinated and thrilled with her new giant toy that she shrieked with displeasure and flung her fists if I so much as dared to distract her from this treasure by putting sustenance near her mouth. She took zero bites and would get really mad. Like, really mad. As in, GET THAT CRAP AWAY FROM ME CAN'T YOU SEE YOU'RE INTERRUPTING DISNEYLAND?









The above yogurt on Annalise's lip was from my attempt to shove some in when she wasn't paying attention. But she's no dummy. She mashed her lips together with the speed of an Olympic Mouth Masher. Attempt = FAIL. 


4 comments:

Diana said...

Sounds a lot like Claire's dealings with food until recently when she has finally started eating. I don't think she is even 18 pounds yet and she turns one next week. She is healthy, but tiny. Good luck with it all!!!

SassyMama said...

Ok, I totally get why you would be anxious and worried (I did my share of that, myself). But I must echo everyone else... she does look healthy and happy, doesn't she?

[M] said...

I love reading your blog because I swear annalise and max are the same baby and it is so nice to know I'm not the only one in the world who had to deal with these types of things. At about this age he went on a nursing strike for three days (and did the biting). I was pretty positive he was going to die by the third day and gave him a bottle. He wouldn't take that either. I took him to the pediatrician (i was certain he was near death even though he weighed 25 lbs at 8 1/2 months). The doctor was very wise and explained that many babies wean themselves before a year and just eat food and drink water. Max eventually wanted to nurse again and amazingly my supply came back. But it scared me to death.

Have you tried a sippy cup? The ones with handles are good...

Cooper Family said...

If it makes you feel any better, at Canon's 12 mo. dr's appt. he was in the 50th percentile for weight, now at his 15th mo. check up he has dropped down to the 13th percentile. You're little girl is perfect and doing just fine!