Saturday, July 11, 2009

Bedtime

While living in LA I had a large and fluffy pillow-topped queen-sized bed all to myself. I gave it away when we got married because Dave had a queen of his own which we could use after we moved into our own house.

We moved into his parents' house. Dave and I both feel strongly about sleeping autonomy. We want to stretch out. We want to flip around at our whim. We want no touching, and even no almost-touching. That would be too distracting for a good night's sleep. (Once in a while I would stretch out a toe across the vast expanse between us to rest it on his leg so I could know he was there. He would politely inform me that this was too much touching for him. I would understand.) Plus, Pixie likes to cuddle in and she's quite a stretcher-outer too. As his parents' bed was the size of Louisiana, it fit our needs quite well.

I was pretty worried about how we would squash ourselves down into a queen-size after never knowing anything together but this king-sized delight. The other day I saw our new bed for the first time. And it's not a queen. It is a double. A full-size. You might as well call it torture-size.

As I teetered through the night on the edge, smack on my side, Dave kneed me swiftly three times in the buttocks. Dave has pretty strong knees.

Pixie had no choice but to sleep on the floor. Every time Dave rolled over, the bed tossed me into the air like a football. At one point when my toes were hanging off the side and I didn't have room to even roll over, I sat up to see how he was faring. Through no fault of his own, while lying on his stomach he covered 85% of the bed. I contemplated heading for the couch, but instead laid awake, day-dreaming (except it wasn't day) about a king-sized Sleep Number. As soon as it was light out, I raced to the computer to see what they cost. Soooo anyway. We might be taking turns on the couch.

8 comments:

Valerie and Mercado Family said...

Jason and I read this together and got a good laugh. Bed sharing is quite interesting. We shared a full-size air mattress while I was pregnant, that was pretty tortuous!

Emily said...

Yeah, I really want a sleep number bed too, but it's definitely not going to happen for a while! Kyle and I sleep with different blankets, we couldn't share one, one of us was always stealing it away from the other. We have a king size, and I've often thought, simply because of the limited space in our bedroom, that a queen size would be good, but... I don't know if we could live with a queen size. Hope you get a replacement soon, even if it's not a sleep number.

Cooper Family said...

Ouch, a double. Todd and I have trouble in a queen size bed. He is also one that does like to be touched while sleeping. We are spoiled when we go visit my parents and get to sleep in a king size bed. When we get back to ours it feels even smaller than it did. Someday we will have a king size bed and Todd will never have to worry about me touching him again!

Jen said...

You poor tortured SOUL!!!! I can't even imagine...oh wait Karen and Don had a huge bed, we have a queen...whaaaaah!!!!!

Staci said...

The double isn't going to last...especially with the new baby. You HAVE to be able to lie down and nurse.

My sister Rachel actually had a doulbe and the mini arms reach co-sleeper...but I don't know how she did it. My babies like to stretch out, and you will doze off while nursing for sure.

Dr. Todd said...

That bites! Do you need a queen? No WAY would Julie and I make it on a double. Death to the marriage.

Julie and Todd said...

I am laughing out loud, so hard. That is awesome! I remember sleeping with Todd on a twin for a night. that was after being married for four months and, at the time, my baby was only a mere pinky-nail size (barely prego). I can't fathom being past the honeymoon phase AND almost 9 months prego, having to sleep on a tiny patch of space together like that. But it sure makes for a funny blog.

Angela said...

OOOOHHHH!!! Aweful! Sleep is so precious! David is used to sharing a bed....but I have a hard time snuggling all night! I thought I was rare..but my eyes have been opened to the reality of things with your blog! So, are you in your own house now? BTW, my parents have slept on a double for over 30 years...I look at their postage size bed and think HOW? WHY? How do you even sleep without falling out of bed and yet they LOVE it!!! I don't get it at all!