Monday, July 13, 2009

36 Weeks

Dave's parents are home and we are *officially* moved, in that we are now sleeping in the new house and have all our stuff here. Yesterday was their homecoming talk in church, where they were nothing short of celebrities among the ward and Dave and I were grateful to no longer have to answer the question every week to five hundred people about when they'd be back.

It's very fun to have them home. Dave's sister Jen came to visit for the event, and it was great to see her too. Some people (I shan't mention who) who have just moved have no food in their homes and zero boxes unpacked. They surely would have subsisted on cereal alone, except other people (also having just moved) have managed to feed the aforementioned folks three separate meals in the three days they've been back and fill their refrigerator with things like roast and potatoes. The first people really like roast and potatoes.

I am trying to have the midwives at OHSU accept me for the birth of Insider Resider as I would like to do a water birth. They have to review my charts and stuff and hopefully it will all work itself out soon, as we now have only 3 weeks and 6 days left til Due Date!

We finished our last Hypnobirthing class and it was very enjoyable and felt like a date night every Thursday for us. The only teensy problem I had was I wasn't really sure the teacher liked me enough. Sure, she liked me. But as I tried to explain to Dave, I didn't really feel that she loved me as she ought. I mean, I am a very good student. I did all my homework. I sat in the front middle. I raised my hand at every opportunity, nodded vigorously at everything she said, and smiled most winningly whenever her eyes met mine. She looked at me as she was talking about 75% of the time and split the other 25% between the rest of class, so she may have liked me best, but I did not sense that she loved me. And why not? I'd already read all the books she referenced, after all. I'd already watched all the documentaries she mentioned, after all. Dave officially declared me a loony-bin "teacher's pet" and said she had liked everyone just fine and I should attempt to nip my nutso-ness in the bud. But I like a teacher to love me. I fully accept that I am a teacher's pet. But in this case, only a teacher's pet wanna-be.

7 comments:

Emily said...

so at work we research DVd's and a coworker freaks out because there is one about a woman giving birth in water. I didn't understand why he was freaking out at first until he explained that it's just not natural - the whole water thing, very backwards/backwoods to him. It was an interesting day as we proceeded to educate him and the other guys in the quad area that giving birth in water is a very normal and less stressful on the baby and relaxing to the mother. Still freaked out about this he says he wants his child to be tough. Then he proceeds to explain further the DVD he was talking about. It's 9 women giving birth in water in Russia. but not just any water, not a hot tub, a pool or birthing area, no... the baltic sea... yes, open water akin to the ocean... Not sure how I feel about that part of water birthing.

Emily said...

Name of said video: birth as we know it... it will shortly be available to add to your Netflix queue!

Courtney said...

You probably know more about babies and birthing than she does, Jess.

And she probably knows it. That's why she doesn't love you - becuase you could do her job better.

Jessica said...

Known benefits of water labor and waterbirth (from the Wtaerbirth International website):


• Facilitates mobility and enables the mother to assume any position which is comfortable for labor and birth

• Speeds up labor

• Reduces blood pressure

• Gives mother more feelings of control

• Provides significant pain relief

• Promotes relaxation

• Conserves her energy

• Reduces the need for drugs and interventions

• Reduces perineal trauma (tearing) and eliminates episiotomies

• Reduces cesarean section rates



The effect of buoyancy that deep water immersion creates allows spontaneous movement of the mother. No one has to help the mother get into a new position. She moves as her body and the position of the baby dictate. Movement helps open the pelvis, allowing the baby to descend.

When a woman in labor relaxes in a warm deep bath, free from gravity’s pull on her body, with sensory stimulation reduced, her body is less likely to secrete stress-related hormones. This allows her body to produce the pain inhibitors-endorphins-that complement labor. Noradrenaline and catecholamines, the hormones that are released during stress, actually raise the blood pressure and can inhibit or slow labor. A laboring woman who is able to relax physically, is able to relax mentally as well. Many women, midwives, and doctors acknowledge the analgesic effect of water. Thousands of these mothers state they would never be able to consider laboring without water again.

Staci said...

Sometimes when one "know-it-all" comes up against another, it can prevent complete doting.

I am glad to hear you are exploring other options. Can't wait to meet the little girl.

Julie and Todd said...

She might have made everyone else feel bad if she openly LOVED you.

Nicole said...

I love it that you are a teacher's pet. I think I was a few times, too.