Saturday, May 2, 2009

6 months

I have less than 100 days to go! That seems very exciting. I like watching the countdown, and getting under 100 seems like a big milestone.

Here is a list of fears I harbor:

* My stretch marks will continue to spread until my entire person is striped like a tiger pelt.
* My baby will be hideous, deformed with a strange and bulgy upper lip, inherited from the recesses of unfortunate ancestry.
* I will wimp out and demand drugs at the last second, instead of sticking to my all-natural birthing philosophies.
* The baby will hurt/shred my nipples when she nurses, which will cause me to want to kill myself as I have overly sensitive nipples to begin with.
* I will remain hopelessly lazy after the baby is born, thereby eliminating any chances of regaining a semi-acceptable figure.
* The baby might wind up with a big pink-painted room and only a dresser inside it.
* People will continue to call me crazy regarding my choices about natural birth, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, baby-wearing, nursing exclusively and on-demand, and any other well-researched positions I take on child-rearing.

***

Today someone asked me how far along I was.
"Six months exactly!" I told her.
"Oh, that's lovely," she gushed. "You're halfway done!"

Um, no. What does she think I am, a blue whale? I guess I was wearing a blue shirt.



5 comments:

Courtney said...

Congrats, Jess!! I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks!!

Julie and Todd said...

I might have to smack the person that said "half way" given that you are already counting down the days. P.S. Valid fears. Understandable on all counts. Especially the nipple one.

Robyn said...

Yeah, your nipples WILL HURT. Please don't expect anything less. But it does go away and it is worth it. I love the Lansinoh ***Ultra***soft disposable nursing pads and used the Lansinoh cream to keep them lubed and unchapped.

Valerie and Mercado Family said...

Yes, your nipples will hurt. With Victoria, mine bled enough that she spit up blood a few times. It was a little disturbing.
Also, don't worry about what other people think about your philosophies. It's actually amazing how many people don't even exclusively nurse around here; and that's the most common beneficial natural technique!

Karina said...

Love reading your blog it is very entertaining! I wish I had enough time to read it more often as there are many wholes where I haven't read! Just a quick comment on the drugs for labor....I have used an epidural 2 out of 5 times. However...I have asked for one EVERY time at the very end of labor except for my third (& smallest by at least a full pound) baby. Sooo good luck!!