Tuesday, February 3, 2009

First baby pics

Last night was torture. I threw up three times at around 1 am and once I fell asleep Pixie woke me at 4, after which I was unable to return to slumberland. Until now, I have only felt nauseous all the time and haven't thrown up at all, so this was a first. The clue that I had to rush to the bathroom was when my mouth started watering like a garden hose and as I hung over the toilet I just opened it up and saliva poured out like a faucet. As this has never before happened as a predessor for puking, it was really quite novel.

We had the second doctor's appointment today and because I felt so awful all night and morning (and since then, incidentally) and got only three hours of sleep, my weeks of anticipatory excitement were getting ruined. Dave didn't get to hear the heartbeat last time so I really wanted him to today.

We met with the nurse for the check-up, and expressed an undying desire for an ultrasound. Getting them for fun, or non-medical purposes, costs about $600 but the lovely woman smiled after a while and said, "Okay, I'll go get the machine so we can play." I nearly wet my pants with joy.

She squirted the goo on my stomach and in half a second there was the baby! Dave and I were spellbound! It moved all around! It kept moving its arms and hiccupping and swimming from side to side and at one point it did a sommesault! Its favorite move was pumping its left arm in the air. It did not sit still! Dave was very proud.

"It's hyper just like I was!" he exclaimed.

It was a perfectly formed little baby and we could see its heart beating. The whole thing was quite surreal. The real-time video was very sharp and clear, the pictures printed from it much less so, and these scanned versions below even less so. But nonetheless, this first one is of the profile of the baby's body, its butt in the upper left corner and its head in the lower right.


The only part of the baby in this picture is its arm and hand, the stick-like projection in the bottom right corner. He is clearly practicing for for school-hood geniusness: "Pick me! Pick me!"

This last one is looking right into the baby's face (head is in lower right corner) and you can see the arms and legs and hands and feet.


In real life it was all much more obvious, but I am still quite glad to have the pictures. Next time we find out the gender! In watching the squiggly little thing, Dave and I both agreed it definitely seemed like a boy. We will know for sure March 9th!

8 comments:

Courtney said...

That is so awesome, Jess!! Wow, you really are pregnant. I'm going to jump on the boy bandwagon, too, since they say that boys are supposedly a lot more active in utero than girls. Congrats!

Staci said...

Olivia was my most hyper baby in utero...so you never know!!!

Robyn said...

I was smiling and giggling at your throw up story. NOT because you threw up...SORRY, but because that is how I know when I am going to throw up. The watery mouth must be a protection from all the acid that will soon make it's way out. Congrats on the pics, can't wait to find out.

Emily said...

baby baby so cute baby...

Tracy said...

Love the pictures! It is so exciting!

Emily said...

Crazy, that must have been really exciting to get to see! Too bad you can't get a video of it, that would be really awesome. Maybe in 5 or 10 years they'll make that an option, $100 unpaid by insurance for a video of the ultrasound, I bet a lot of people would want that, and I don't think it would need to cost them $100 per video... So when is next time that you get to find out the gender? Bet you're really looking forward to that!

Jessica said...

We get to find out the gender on March 9th!!

Anonymous said...

How adorable!!!! Haley was so incredibly wild... she NEVER stopped moving... seriously. Her arms, legs, everything was always moving. :) Could be a girl...... you never know :)
~Chelsea