Saturday, November 8, 2008

I was pretty old (like 11? 13?) when I discovered a very disappointing fact: snowflakes are not the size of your hand. Not like all the cartoons depict. We went to New York to visit my grandma and it snowed. Teensy tinesy itty bitty specks drifted down from the sky and someone had to tell me it was snowing.

"No, it's not," I said, annoyed they were trying to trick me. (I was eagerly anticipating the snowing; I couldn't wait for my first experience.)

"Yes, it is," (probably my mom) insisted.

I gazed around in horror. Where were the golf-ball-sized globes of the Snoopy shows, the fist-sized flakes from the Smurfs?

The let-down was something fierce. You couldn't even tell they were all different. You couldn't even see their intricate shapes. They melted the second they landed on you, so mainly what you got were very unimpressive melty drips. I could have cried.

Today on a walk I saw hundreds of yellow star-shaped maple leaves, the size of my hand, drifting down from trees like the snow of my dreams. I lamented the cruel irony of actual snowflakes, so individual and stunning, yet too tiny to appreciate.

Maybe I'll spray paint those yellow leaves white.


5 comments:

Staci said...

Are you loving fall in the Great Northwest? The leaves sound beautiful. I want to visit you.

Anonymous said...

You are so cute :) I love the snow and wish the snowflakes were bigger! Hey, where is your post about your latest project???? ;)
~Chelsea

Blythe said...

Jess you are so funny. Maybe this winter you and Dave can cut out paper snowflakes the way we used to when we were kids. Those snowflakes can be as big as you want! Even BIGGER than your hand! But still, sorry you're so disappointed.

I ended up just putting together a collage on photoshop. I gave picasa a try (I thought that might have been where you made your collages) but I was looking for a little more control. Picasa seems so easy though...I have no doubt that I'll use it in the future!

Dave Fuhriman said...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news dear honey (not really), but here are a couple other surprising discrepancies you'll find from the cartoon world:

- Pterodactyls were not used for prehistoric household tasks ala Flintstones

- Wonder Woman's "invisible" airplane was just clear acrylic -- she had to wash it, like, every day

- Most kids aren't bald with one squiggly long hair coming out of the middle of his forehead like Charlie Brown

What a buzzkill.

Nicole said...

You are tagged.