Sunday, October 12, 2008

Horrid

Pixie's behavior this morning could only be described as horrid. As I lovingly took her on a walk this freezing cold morning, I paused to procure some poopy bags just outside the greenbelt, and her leash slipped from my hand. She took this as a cue to become the worst version of herself imaginable. As you might expect, two seconds before and for the rest of the entire walk leading up to this moment, there was not a soul in sight. At this moment though, appearing in universe-conspiring-unison, was an old-ish man jogging towards us, a woman walking a dog right across from us, and a group of people walking a dog just down the block. Now, when Pixie gets loose and frenzied, the last thing we want is a dog coming towards us. When she chances the opportunity to flee when she knows she's not supposed to, the power goes to her head and she likes to attack anything she can see. Well, she might have tried to attack the huge lab loping our way, except that Jogging Man decided to "help" me and try and scare her back to me as I chased her down the street, bellowing threats and consequences. He ran at her with his arms swinging down like a gorilla, helpfully making loud noises and attempting to corral her and generally looking like quite the loony fellow. Everything was happening too quickly for me to tell him to stop- because he looked both crazy AND aggressive to her, neither of which quality she does well with, I knew this wouldn't be good. She started hysterically barking at and charging him; they would both charge towards each other, I would lunge towards her, and she would try to decapitate him but without getting too close. She really wanted to kill him. And he kept lunging at her like a monkey. She's never bitten anyone, but even I would've bitten him if I were her. The only thing distracting her from this was the approaching dog and she couldn't quite make up her mind if she wanted to attack the dog or rid the world of the crazy man, so her game was off. After my twentieth attempt to snatch up her leash I finally was able to, scraping my hand painfully on the street (we were in the middle of the street) and when I looked up, no less than ten people were all around me to witness the entire charming event.

"Thanks! Bye!" I called brightly, not meeting anyone's eye and hurrying away like nothing was embarrassing at all.

7 comments:

Staci said...

you have such a lovely voice in your blogging.
poor you, and pixie!

Courtney said...

Naughty Pixie!! Nice save at the end though, Jess.

Emily said...

I used to have a sharpei who would go running the second you let him. I mean bolting out the front door when you left it open for half a second, and he was GONE. We would always have to take the car to go after him, because he'd run a mile before he even started to slow down. Ahhh, dogs, we love them, we hate them. (This is Emily from Craft Warehouse, by the way)

Robyn said...

I just read Dave's blog and are you pregnant? Because of the whole name your son Slater thing. Just future hopes and dreams or prego reality? I think names are pretty personal so you do what you guys agree on...not everyone is going to like the name normal or not. I have loved Strider since L of the Rings, but remember when a certain someone wanted to name your child a name that rhymed with his last name??? I know I probably just spelled rhymed wrong. Not really a point, just remembered that right now. There are always middle names too! I am quite sure most people will hate or love the name we have chosen for our little guy, but I don't really care. Wow, I have really gone on way too much. So...are you with child is what I really want to know.

Jessica said...

No! I am not with child. But I wish! We are officially trying!! :)

Robyn said...

Trying is the funnest part! When you get prego you have to call me and I will give you all my tips. Prego pops from motherhood maternity are the best for morning/afternoon/nighttime sickness. Good luck.

Jessica said...

I am excited for all your tips, Roy. I can't believe you're already on number two!