Saturday, November 7, 2009

Worst-Case Scenario





** Posted By Dave**

In case you didn’t notice the URL for our blog, it’s titled “The World According To Pixie.”

Jess started this blog before we got married, and even started it by writing in Pixie’s voice. If only we could actually know what she’s thinking all the time… Pixie collects neuroses like she’s a kid collecting candy on Halloween.

For the most part, Pixie’s quirks are hilarious at their best, and annoying at their worst.

Thursday, that changed. Pixie bit the baby.

It’s tough to even write that, but it’s true. Through a number of unfortunate circumstances, Pixie saw the baby as a threat or a competitor for just a moment and growled and bit her while I was home for lunch. Jess quickly snapped up Pixie and sequestered her in the other room; I picked up our now-crying baby and examined the damage – a deep red scrape (we presume from Pixie’s teeth) and a bite wound that didn’t draw blood but is quite visible on the right side of her head. We’re lucky she was bitten on her head and not on her face or arms, where much more damage could have been done.

It was over in just a second, but immediately Jess and I both knew what the consequences were. Jess was crying as she tried to soothe the baby by letting her nurse. My mind raced. Neither of us could think of any way we could keep Pixie, even though 99+% of the time she not only tolerates the baby but absolutely adores her.

So when Jess heads to LA on Wednesday, she’s taking Pixie with her. Pixie is staying with Jessica’s mom. For good.

This is extraordinarily difficult. Jess adopted Pixie from a rescue organization, and was her mom from 6 months on (she’s 4 going on 5 now). Since Jess and I started dating, she’s become my little girl as well and I love having her around.

She tried to hump Jessica as I leaned over for our first kiss almost three years ago.
On the day I proposed to Jess, I started the day by buying Pixie a leopard print bed that she’s sleeping in as I type this.
She was in Jessica’s arms as I got on one knee to propose, cluelessly searching for chipmunks to chase as Jessica covered her mouth in shock.
She’s a part of our family, because she was there at the beginning.

Today we spent the morning finding a dog bakery to give Pixie some exotic treats and a last weekend to remember as part of our family. Since the bite (perhaps we should capitalize this as The Bite, like The Great Depression), sometimes we look at Pixie and our heart just breaks for her. She has no idea what’s going on, why we keep her separate from the baby more over the last few days, why I took her to work with me Friday to keep her out of the house and give Jess a break from refereeing, or why her Mom and Dad are both acting a bit more nervous around her.

The good news (if there is any in all of this) is that Jessica’s mom agreed to take her, so we know she’s going to live with someone who has full knowledge of all (OK, most) of Pixie’s quirks and foibles. And she loves Jessica’s mom, so the transition shouldn’t be too horrible for her. We also have the fortunate option to see her on our trips to LA in the coming years.

Just as our family is growing, it’s going to shrink again.

Pixie, we love you.

This sucks.

12 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! You definitely didn't have to know Jessica long to learn how much that dog means to her. I'm glad you at least have a good home readily available to bring her to, and a place where you know she'll be well taken care of and you can visit. But I know this must be really hard, I'm really sorry that happened!

Diana said...

That's too bad! I am glad though tht you can still visit her. I am sure her Mom will take pictures and treat her well.

SassyMama said...

I'm so sad for you guys:(.

Staci said...

I am so sorry.

Valerie and Mercado Family said...

I'm glad your mom can take her. Good luck!

Mollie said...

I'm devastated for you but you are making the right decision. You'd never forgive yourself if Pixie really hurt Annalise. At least she's going to stay in the family. But again, my heart goes out to you. I can't even imagine how hard this must be!! Hang in there!

Will and Sandy said...

I am so sorry for you guys:(

Dr. Todd said...

I'm been sick since I heard the news. We have pictures of her everywhere in our photo albums etc. I as looking at pics of her tonight.

We are so sorry! Can't even imagine....

haylie said...

Totally, epically sucks. So deeply sorry, guys.

Emily said...

I'm so sorry to hear this! But as someone who's dog-child has to live with Grandma I understand... so so sad!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jess, I am so sorry to hear about Pix. I just keep thinking that there has to be a way to keep her. Maybe a professional trainer who could tell you more about her motives. I just don't think this was a visious act, do you. But you must do what you think best. I just want you to know I still love Pixie, she is one of a kind. I love and prayers go out to you and Dave as you face this sad time. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

hi Jess I am the annomous comment. Carol as in emily/carol