Monday, May 25, 2009

Nicole's Baby Shower

On Saturday I threw my friend Nicole a baby shower. It was so fun to do! She is having a little boy in less than a month and already has two little boys, so she said the best gift one could get her would be diapers. I set about to do that, with a twist. I found pictures of diaper cakes you could order on-line, and made one up of my own! 133 diapers later, this is what turned out:



Her colors are blue and yellow, and she said she didn't really have a theme for the baby, but if there would be one, it would be airplanes. There is a wooden airplane decorating the "cake" and the card on top reads "Coming in for a landing in June 2009."
I made homemade cupcakes with homemade icing (my fave!) to look like little babies sucking on binkies, and we had lots of other yummy treats too.

I created a collage so we could play "Guess the Celebrity Baby," and there was a tie, so as a tie-breaker everyone cut ribbon to guess how big around Nicole's stomach was. Congrats to Heidi, who came closest!
Everyone got to wear a baby-charm necklace that could be stolen from them if they said the word "baby". I was terrible at my own game! I had my necklace stolen right away and could never catch it when anyone else said baby. At the end, the person with the most necklaces got the prize. And we played another game where everyone sat on the floor in a circle and I handed a prize to Nicole. I read a story really fast to them with the words "right" and "left" in it a ton of times, and every time they heard one or the other, the person holding the prize had to pass it that way. Heidi won again, but graciously shared her prize. The prizes were bags of wildflower seeds (the big prize was an extra-big bag of seeds, with soil pellets and a silver bucket to plant them in) and the tags on each prize read, "Nicole is growing a baby- you can grow something too!"
I also made cards for everyone to fill out with good wishes or advice to Nicole, to be placed in a little blue scrapbook so she could remember her shower. With that message, we played My Two Cents, where we passed around a little piggy bank and if the guests had brought spare change, they were allowed to share the thought on their card when they dropped the money in, and it became the baby's first piggy bank.


Nicole's five-year-old took this pic of us at the end- can you believe she is due seven weeks before me?!

14 comments:

Courtney said...

Um, hi Martha Stewart! What a fun shower, and you did a spectacular job on the diaper cake!

P.S. I am usually really good at celebrity games, but the only one of those pictures I could identify was Ashton Kutcher. What the....? Who are all those celebs?!

Jessica said...

Tom Cruise is in there, Katie Holmes, Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, Nicole Kidman, Leonardo, Justin Timberlake, Jennifer Garner, Kate Hudson, Jennifer Lopez, Sarah Jessica Parker, etc. etc.

:)

Showmethesale said...

Jessica, YOU ROCK!

That was such a great shower and you were so creative with the food, games, and prizes. . . WAY TO GO!

Loved that diaper cake--thanks for giving Nicole the shower and for letting this ole biddy come to it!

HA!

Stephanie said...

Wow you throw a great party!! I am so sad I couldn't be there:( You and Nicole are two cute pregnant ladies:)

Jessica said...

I might have to adopt a baby just so you can plan the shower!!
Great job!

And, uh, you ARE going to post the answers for that celebrity baby quiz, right? ;)

Emily said...

LOVE THE CAKE! that turned out so well! love you more tho! xo

Staci said...

Wow --- you seem like you are a teensy bit into baby showers or something.

BTW - I am sooo sorry I missed yours. It sounded so amazing. I loved seeing you and can't wait to meet your sweet girl.

Nicole said...

Great pictures. Even greater shower! I loved it and and can't thank you enough.

P.S. Gilbert only got 3 on the celebrity quiz.

Jessica said...

Here are the answers to the celebrity baby quiz (tell me if you want me to email you the page-sized version of it):
1. Julia Roberts
2. Leonardo DiCaprio
3. Kate Winslet
4. Kate Hudson
5. Ashton Kutcher
6. Sarah Jessica Parker
7. Justin Timberlake
8. Harrison Ford
9. Usher
10. Jennifer Aniston
11. Katie Holmes
12. Jennifer Lopez
13. John Travolta
14. Arnold Schwarzeneggar
15. Madonna
16. Carmen Electra
17. Nicole Kidman
18. Jennifer Garner
19. Tom Cruise
20. Brad Pitt
21. Kelly Clarkson

PDXTingeys said...

Wow, it looks like a great party! You should consider party planning as a career. You are so creative and the diaper cake looks fabulous!

Valerie and Mercado Family said...

Way creative! It looks like fun!

Blythe said...

HOW on EARTH did you come up with all of that stuff? Holy smokes woman, you are like a brand new (and better) Martha Stewart!

If I give you a few years notice, will you plan MY baby shower someday?

Erica said...

Great job on the diaper cake!!

Kassie said...

The shower looks like it was wonderful! I am throwing my bf a baby shower this weekend...I have been looking everywhere for the celebrity game..i have played a similar version and it was definitely a hit. Can u send me the full image and answers please?