Thursday, April 9, 2009

Hair, Contractions, and a Pillow

I finally got my hair cut! And weaved. Yessssssssssss. It was very needed. I am blonde on top again as well as at the bottom. It may be the best haircut I've ever received. And you know how the professionals can always blow you out a thousand times better than you could ever do yourself? Yeah. She did it yesterday and I might not wash it again for a year so as not to mess up her handiwork.

Over the weekend, we did a race that raises money for MS, as organized by our friend Sandy. This is the second year in a row we've done it and though it was exactly half the temperature as last year (35 degrees as opposed to 70) it was a lot of fun. This year I was significantly slower (more disabled, if you will) than last year. My uterus was in one constant rock-hard contraction for the entire three miles (not kidding) from the exertion. Pleasantly, The Insider Resider stayed inside.


Speaking of the baby, I bought her an extremely expensive pillow yesterday, the Snoozer Full-Body Pillow.

We've bought pretty much nothing at all so far, with the exception of a few maternity outfits and a pair a tiny patent-leather shoes to celebrate the news that she is a girl. But when I saw this, it looked like the greatest thing ever. The website goes on and on about how it's so much better than a body pillow, it aligns you so well, all your aches will be gone, and you'll sleep better than you ever have, regardless of the fact that you may have a bowling ball strapped to your midsection. It (quite effectively) went on and on. And I bought it all, hook, line, and sinker. If there's something I like it's my sleep, and that has definitely been disturbed by the presence of a certain bowling-ball-like addition to my person. Let's be straight- it was 80 bucks. But I bought it.
It came today. I ripped it open. I flung myself upon it. In the two minutes of lying there and contemplating things (like that it wasn't particularly comfortable at all, and my leg was hitched up so high I might as well be trying to mount a pony) my back began aching in a way it never did without the Miracle-Eighty-Dollar-Pillow. Hmm. I may have been bamboozled.

The thing is, I could send it back. But I want it to work so badly. I want it to be the miracle I've dreamed of. Maybe I will give it another chance. Or ten. Hmm.

Also it's Lemon Month at Sweet Tomatoes, my favorite month of the year! And we have a coupon! I am planning on heartily requesting this as our dinner destination for the evening to my loving and oh-so-frugal husband. Wish me luck.

7 comments:

Staci said...

I wish you all the luck in the world with the body pillow. Sleep in the last trimester can be pretty rough.

Also, it seems like you are handling the frugal life incredibly well. I am impressed.

Valerie and Mercado Family said...

I have a body Boppy pillow for pregnant women that I slept with while pregnant with Karissa and I'm using it this time too. You're right, it's not the most comfortable feeling with your leg up so high, but I have gotten used to it and I do think it helps. At least it keeps me off my back, where I tend to roll to since I can't roll to my stomach with the "ball" in the way.

Courtney said...

You need to post pictures of your new stunning haircut!!

SassyMama said...

Luck!

I had one of those boppy pillows that are much shorter than the one you had. I think it helped. I even used it in the hospital. Actually... I still use it:).

Hope you find one that works!

Emily said...

Yeah, I was thinking that, too. Where's the picture of the haircut? Also, where did you go? I really need a haircut, and I could use an amazing hairdresser, because I think I need something totally new and I have no idea what. But the problem is I don't know anybody, and I'm always worried I'm going to spend a fortune and not even like it. I hope your pillow starts working better, I can't see a pillow being worth $80, but I can easily see good sleep being worth that, so hopefully it starts helping.

Jessica said...

Yes, I should post a pic of the hair! The thing is, I always ask for the same thing (layers and swoopy bangs) and depending on how good a stylist is or how they interpret that, it's always a little different. Not sure it would show up so much in a photo, but the layers are done FANTASTICALLY. I went to LeAnne at Pizazz Salon:
(503) 531-7900 :)

Nicole said...

Loved seeing your new haircut this week! Gorgeous.

As for that pillow... I hope it helps. I ended up sleeping in a Laz-e-boy type recliner the last month of my previous pregnancies. It was the only way I could get any sleep.