Sunday, July 13, 2008

So many changes...

There are lots. One that has been at the forefront of my mind in the last week is Dave leaving for work. Dave took off work for the first week after we got back from the honeymoon, and it was quite enjoyable. Even though he rises and leaves the bed at 6 am every morning, several hours before I even comprehend this fact, it was nice to know that he was just in the other room typing away on his emails or checking his fantasy sports standings. That first week I would get up, take Pixie around the block for a pee pee and come back inside to have him waiting for me with a detailed plan of action for the day's activities (often scheduled in 5-minute intervals). This was very pleasant.

On Monday this changed. So did my demeanor. Once his impending departure was announced I found ourselved like unto the Australian landscape: myself the clutching koala, on Dave the bewildered tree.

"Don't go!" I suggested excitedly, already imagining what fun we could have.

"But I have to," he explained.

"Our lives are made up of decisions," I admonished.
"You could decide not to go."

"Well, I am deciding to go so I can pay off my student loans."

"But I miiiiiiiiiiiiiiss you," I moaned.

"Um. But I'm still here," he reminded me.

"So that means you don't miss meeeeeeee?" Moaning and lip quivering followed.

"I really have to go now," he said nervously as he tried to squeeze past, afraid, perhaps, that I would use bodily force to restrain him. (Worthy concern: I am quite strong, now that I think about it.)

This conversation was repeated each day. Maybe tomorrow the logic will make more sense to him? Yes, I'll definitely try again tomorrow.

2 comments:

[M] said...

:)don't worry, the time will come when you'll be saying "honey, isn't it time for you to go to work yet?"

separation during the newlywed stage is painful...

Julie and Todd said...

I'm laughing my head off right now.