Monday, July 21, 2008

Mmm... pound cake...

A big thank-you goes out to Karen, Dave's mom's best friend, who, whilst barely knowing me, generously funded a large portion of our Portland reception (cake, flowers, bouquet, centerpieces). Was that enough? NO! She then proceeded to bestow upon our newly wedded bliss the pink Kitchen Aid mixer of our dreams:


(I tried to get Dave to want something like a new BBQ or really loud power tools, but he INSISTED on the pink mixer. What could I do? I let him have his way.)

Last night I plucked the luscious pink delight from its box and carefully read all two instructions on how to assemble it. I knew I wanted pound cake, but never having made a pound cake from scratch before (or any cake, for that matter) I certainly had no recipe. There were thousands available online, and being that I'd gone to Costco and bought half a gallon of heavy whipping cream to whip up for Dave's birthday cake (and had whipped approximately one cup of it for said birthday cake) I chose a recipe that called for cream:


INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter
6 eggs
3 cups white sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons lemon extract

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9 or 10 inch tube pan.
2. With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time and mix well.
3. Introduce the flour, one cup at a time while adding cream a little at a time until all flour and cream is mixed in well.
4. Add the vanilla and lemon flavoring and blend well. Pour batter into prepared pan.
5. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 1-1/2 hours or until center springs back from small amount of pressure. Immediately turn out on cake rack to cool.

Simple! Easy! Yummy! Moist! Rich! Delectable!

I was pleased! Dave was pleased!

I have since learned (I shan't say how) that pound cake makes a sumptuous breakfast, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, and evening dessert! Who knew??

5 comments:

Jessica Baker said...

Pound cake is the best. You're right--very simple, very yummy. It's amazing what a pound of butter and sugar can do for a cake. :)

Nicole said...

I have got to get a Kitchen Aid. That pound cake is calling to me...

Jessica said...

Nicole, please come get some! We have TONS!!! (Despite the fact that I have made it my meal for FOUR meals!!)

Shanda McKeehan said...

I love the pink kitchen aid! I am ready for one. Right now I just have my parents' old white one (which I am grateful for) but the pink one is so fun! Also, I agree on the pound cake, the last year I have been working on losing the baby weight, but I am sick of that plan and think I am just ready to see how much weight I can gain this year!

by the way, I agree with your pink shirt comment, Austin does have a few pink ties - but I don't even know if he would look right in a pink polo - I would like him to though.

Jessica said...

Let's have Austin just try! Then (when he looks wondeful I'm sure)you will tell us all about it and Dave will feel brave enough to do it too!